• The BARF Diet
• Good quality natural dog food
• Natural chews to help with the teeth
• Good quality raw hide – This will digest
• Always make sure your animal has fresh clean drinking water
Bad – Prolonged of the bad will turn to hazard
• Fast food – Due to fat content and salt levels, leading to many health issues
• Do not encourage exercise after feeding for about an hour this can cause bloating issues and digestion problems.
• Baby food can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. In addition, it can result in nutritional deficiencies especially if fed in large amounts
• Fruit pips, slice and chop the fruit otherwise it can not be digested properly -Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, and plum pits contain the toxin cyanide.
• Raisins and grapes – inconclusive evidence but has been linked to kidney problems
• Avocados – Contain persin this is destructive to the heart and lungs.
• Coffee, tea, and caffeinated drinks are bad. They contain caffeine which could be toxic and impact the heart and nervous systems.
• Bones from fish and cooked bones can obstruct the digestive system
• Xylitol is a sugar-free sweetener most often found in chewing gum and candy. In dogs, it stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin, resulting in hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Xylitol ingestion can also cause severe liver damage.
• Chocolate – large amounts will cause seizures and even death. If your dog has eaten some chocolate seek a vets advice. This will cause excessive stimulation to the heart rate.
• Alcohol can result in coma and death.
• Cheap dog food with added salt and sugars. Too much salt in the diet can cause kidney issues and other health related issues. To much sugar is not good unless its from a natural source like fruit or veg.
• Macadamia nuts can cause tremors
• Onions – can interfere with blood circulation
• Nutmeg- has minute levels of cyanide and can cause seizures.
• As for chemicals, dogs need to be kept away from all antifreeze spills since this could be hazardous and toxic to dogs. While the sweet smell and taste may be attractive to his sensitive nose, if your dog consumes any amount of antifreeze, rush him immediately to the veterinarian.